Elevator

 


I was entering the Satyesh Residency, the place where I live. I checked the mobile screen, and it was showing 11:45 pm. At the parking area, under each building, parked motor vehicles also gave a glimpse as if they were also in a deep sleep. There was pin-drop silence. The white lights gave a feeling of calmness. 

‘Today I will go to my floor by elevator,’ I was just thinking. However, I live on the first floor; hence, there was no need to go by Elevator. 

When I reached near stairs, then the lift got opened. I did not take charge and went upstairs using the stairs only.


I did not heed this incident that much. It was just a coincidence. 

After a few days, I returned around the same time at night, and the scenario was the same.

I was about to reach the lift, but it got opened automatically. There was nobody. It felt weird, but I could not give much thought to it. As usual, I took the stairs and went to my flat.

I was happy that I was so lucky that this lift was getting opened whenever I came near it. Elevator had no automatic facility even though it was 7 years old. Therefore, there was no sensor to detect the object and get opened if it was unoccupied. 


After a few days, it was the same time. 

It was around 12 am, and I was coming back to my flat. Once again, when I came near my stairs (the staircase and lift area were at the exact location), the doors of the Elevator got opened and closed two times. This time I was scared of how the same incident could be repeated more than two times and at the same time. I just rushed towards my flats by using the stairs.

I was not even looking back, but the lift door was striking again and again. It was like as if the Elevator was saying, come, come, go at your flat by using me; why you are just wishing, come, I have been waiting to serve you. 


It was scary. I was living alone at my flat. 

I do not believe in paranormal things. However, the repetitive incidents made me ponder. 

My building has 14 floors, and it was in society means there were almost more than 20 buildings there at that residency. 


Almost 15 days after the last incident, I was at my flat. I was over the phone; hence I thought to go to the top floor while talking. So I approached the lift and pressed the number 14. If I remember, it was the day of festivals known as ‘Karwa Chauth.’ 

However, Elevator got started going upwards. It got stopped on the 9th floor. The gate of the Elevator got opened, and at first instance, I could not see anybody. I was on the phone. All of a sudden, one man came and just got stood up beside me. Though I was over the phone, I could not care about it. And then there happened some network issue. 


The other side person was unable to hear me, I was listening to him, but he was not.

I hung up the call, and till then lift was on the 11th floor. As soon as I moved my phone from my ear…

‘Why didn’t you take the elevator on that day….’

I heard something, and I could not get the words, and I turned my face toward him and said, “did you say something?”

That man chinned up and said, 

“Why did you not take the elevator on that day? While I was waiting kept the door open for you”.

My body became numb; I felt like my whole body had been frozen. 

I was taken aback. I did not want to speak words, and the lift went upwards as if someone was pulling back. 


That person turned his body towards me and repeated the same line with an increased voice. 

I just tried to pretend as if I knew nothing. My throat was being dried, and I was being unconscious. However, I was holding myself robustly. 

That man started asking repeatedly, and his voice was furious after each repetition. 

That 2x2 area lift made me feel suffocated for the first time. I wanted to jump off, but how and where?

And all of a sudden, my phone started ringing. It fell from my hand, and I did not dare pick it up. 

And by the grace of God, the lift got stopped on the 14th floor, but the door was not being opened. It seemed like that; however, it opened as usual, but I was in a hurry. 


I quickly picked up my phone; how I could leave it. On that floor, there was nobody; I just could not wait and started running downwards by taking the stairs. 


My feet were at full speed. I thump and skip the two or three stairs once. 

My thigh started paining, as I do not use much physical activity. However, my feet were not being stopped by any pain. When I reached the 6th floor, I saw some married couple they were holding the ‘Pooja Thali’  to perform the rituals of that festival. 


I mustered the courage and looked upside the stairs; that man was peeping from the same floor. 

I did not waste even a microsecond and kept running downward. When I reached the 3rd floor, a woman tried to stop me. I just took a break from rushing, but I was panting badly. 

“Son, I was also there when my son opened the gate to the lift, but you did not come on any day.” that woman delivered the words.


What the hell she was saying. I just took a glimpse of that lady whose smirky face did not allow me to see her face again, and I rushed very quickly. And at the end of the 2nd floor, I got slipped off. My whole body was touching the edges of the stairs. And finally, my body rested on the ledge of the last stair. 


Few people were there, and they rushed toward, unwillingly my eyes looked upwards. That man and woman looked at me from the 14th and 3rd floors, respectively. 

I was escorted to my room by those people And closed the door by saying thanks to all of them.

It was 9 pm, and suddenly, I heard the knocking at my door… I was scared. There was no small window or lens at my door to watch the people on another side…






Continued…..




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Humble..

Vicarious Love (Self-realization)

My First Smart Phone